About the Village
The village of Weare can be found in the district of Sedgemoor in Somerset, just south of the busy A38 road between Bristol and Bridgwater. Weare Parish consists of the villages of Weare and Lower Weare and the hamlets of Brinscombe and Alston Sutton. In 2002 the estimated Parish population was 630.
Weare is situated in beautiful surroundings. To the south lie the wetlands of the Somerset Levels, a peatland area rich in wildlife, while the gently rolling slopes of the Mendip Hills, an area of outstanding natural beauty, lie just to the north. The surrounding fields, which provide rich grazing to cattle and sheep, are criss-crossed by a network of footpaths and drainage rhynes. They, and the nearby hills, are well used by walkers and horse-riders keen to appreciate the natural beauty of the countryside.
Most of the village has developed along Sparrow Hill Way, between the present position of the School (where it has been since 1895) and St. Gregory’s Church (mainly 15th century). The church is part of Crook Peak United Parish, along with 5 other local churches, and is the major focal point of the village.
See sub menu Map to view a detailed map of the Parish.